My current job has had me working with a number of technologies with which I was completely unfamiliar when I started. The Spring Framework and OSGi are two such technologies that I believe I’ve become fairly comfortable with, yet still manage to throw something new and/or bizarre at me every once in a while.
My latest issue involved convincing Spring to register an OSGi service. Seems simple enough, Spring offers pretty good OSGi support, and one can usally register a service by doing something like this:
<bean id="theService" class="com.company.service.TheServiceImpl"/> <osgi:service ref="theService" interface="com.company.service.TheService"/>
Pretty straightforward. It creates a bean called theService, then uses that bean to publish a service. Spring automagically takes care of registering the new service in your container’s OSGi service registry (in my case, I’m running Virgo). I’ve done something similar to this many times with no problem. However, this time I needed to do something slightly more complex:
<osgi:reference id="someOtherService" interface="com.someapi.services.OtherService"/> <bean id="beanA" class="com.company.services.BeanA"> <property name="otherService" ref="someOtherService"/> </bean> <bean id="beanB" class="com.company.services.BeanBImpl"> <property name="beanA" ref="beanA"/> </bean> <osgi:service ref="beanB" interface="com.company.services.BeanB"/>
Now for the problem… my “beanB” service was NOT being published. I tried everything I could think of, switched my beans to constructor injection (no idea why that should work), verified that both my “beanA” and “beanB” beans were being created, etc., and everything looked fine… but the service wasn’t showing up! Checking the logs… I found nothing. No exceptions, no warnings, just the lack of the usual log message Spring generates when it publishes a new service.
So what was going on? By using the good ‘ol “comment things out until it works, then reverse the process until it breaks” method of debugging, I identified the first line of my services.xml file, the osgi:reference tag, as the source of the problem.
The osgi:reference tag deontes a service that is consumed, rather than published. BeanA uses that service, and this is where the problem comes in. That otherService was something I had yet to implement. It wasn’t strictly necessary for “beanA” to work, and beanA was being initialized just fine, but the lack of “someOtherService” in the OSGi service registry was triggering an obscure feature of Spring (or at least it was obscure to me, it’s entirely possible I’m the last Spring/OSGi user on Earth to learn about this).
I found a description of the problem, and its solution, in the spring documentation:
7.5. Relationship Between The Service Exporter And Service ImporterAn exported service may depend, either directly or indirectly, on other services in order to perform its function. If one of these services is considered a mandatory dependency (has cardinality 1..x) and the dependency can no longer be satisfied (because the backing service has gone away and there is no suitable replacement available) then the exported service that depends on it will be automatically unregistered from the service registry – meaning that it is no longer available to clients. If the mandatory dependency becomes satisfied once more (by registration of a suitable service), then the exported service will be re-registered in the service registry.
cardinalityattribute is used to specify whether or not a matching service is required at all times. A cardinality value of
1..1(the default) indicates that a matching service must always be available. A cardinality value of
0..1indicates that a matching service is not required at all times (see section 188.8.131.52 for more details).
So, changing the first line in my xml to this:
<osgi:reference id="someOtherService" interface="com.someapi.services.OtherService" cardinality="0..1"/>
fixed the issue. In my opinion the default cardinality should be “0..1”, rather than “1..1”. At the very least, if a mandatory service reference cannot be satisfied, some sort of conspicuous error log message ought to be generated. But anyway, if you were having a similar problem and found your way here, hopefully I just saved you several hours of pain, anguish, and misery.